Chatting via video is a great way to stay connected to senior loved ones when you can’t be there in person.
Whether it be through FaceTime, Skype or the ever-popular Zoom video conferencing, there’s a bucket load of great options to connect via video online.
However, not all interfaces are intuitive for less tech savvy seniors. To make video calls more obtainable for seniors, we present easy-to-use video communication devices to help the elderly stay connected to friends and loved ones.
Not only is ViewClix incredibly easy for seniors to enjoy, it’s perfect for family members with on-the-go lifestyles that want to keep in touch more frequently.
With ViewClix, family members can easily Share Pictures, enjoy live Video Calls, and post Sticky Notes to the ViewClix frame.
ViewClix’s video call features include:
- Universal compatibility: It’s easy to make video calls to the frame using the free ViewClix mobile app for Apple and Android smart phones or tablets. Plus, ViewClix video calls can be made using a browser on PC’s or Mac.
- Auto-answer mode lets a senior receive a call without pressing any button.
- Special “flip cast” feature lets you use the back side camera on your smart phone or tablet to show live family video to your senior.
- Secure and private: only authorized family members can make a video call.
- Each ViewClix frame includes an external conference-type microphone for excellent audio clarity.
To learn more about ViewClix, visit viewclix.com.
GrandPad is a simple and secure tablet computer that digitally connects a senior to their family and friends. The senior can easily view family photos and videos, play games, see weather for each family member, listen to music, check emails, make phone calls, place a video chat, and much more.
What makes the GrandPad stand out is it’s simplicity – making all features, including video communication, as simple as possible for seniors.
For more information on how the GrandPad works, features, and FAQs, visit grandpad.net.
Google Nest Hub + Duo
The Google Nest Hub allows you to make and receive calls with other Google Duo users. Google Duo works on Android and iOS smartphones, tablets, computers, and other Smart Displays. It also has a neat Knock Knock feature which allows you to get a live video preview of the person calling you – starting the fun before the conversation even begins.
The Google Nest Hub offers a plethora of features beyond video calls, so it may not be the right device for less tech savvy seniors, but combining it’s great support, the Google brand, and simple interface, we’ve included it in our cut of senior-friendly video communication devices.
Amazon Echo Show
The Echo Show allows users to call friends and family who have the Alexa app or an Echo device with a screen.
Similar to the Google Nest Hub, the Echo Show comes rich with features for seniors a little more comfortable with technology.
Some of the Echo Show’s features include:
- An 8″ HD screen and stereo sound
- Be entertained – Ask Alexa to show you movie trailers, TV shows, movies, or the news. Or listen to radio stations, podcasts, and audiobooks.
- Control your smart home – Voice control compatible devices or manage them on the easy-to-use display. Ask Alexa to show you security cameras, control lights, and adjust thermostats.
- Make it yours – Show off your albums from Amazon Photos. Customize your home screen. Create morning routines to start your day.
- Made to fit your life – Cook along to step-by-step recipes. Easily update to-do lists and calendars. Glance at weather and traffic on your way out.
- Designed to protect your privacy – Electronically disconnect the microphones and camera with one press of a button. Slide the built-in shutter to cover the camera.
Best Video Meeting Apps
Don’t need a dedicated video communication device? Here are some of the best video meeting apps that don’t require a dedicated device:
- Zoom Meeting
- Google Duo (Best video chat for Android smart phone users)
- FaceTime (Best video chat for iPhone users)
- Facebook Messenger
- Publische MEETINGS (Best for Australian users)